Located at the University of Tlemcen
The Pan African University Institute of Water and Energy Sciences (including Climate Change) (PAUWES) is located on the campus of the University of Tlemcen, Algeria. This beautiful Mediterranean city befittingly derives its name from the Berber word for “water springs.”
One of the Five Pan African University Institutes
The institute is part of the Pan African University – a project initiated by the African Union as part of a broad, integrated system of higher education across the African continent. In partnership with the German government, the institute offers graduate students access to leading academic research and the latest theoretical and hands-on training in areas vital to the future of African development – water, energy and the challenge of climate change. Supported by the spokes of the integrated PAU network system, which include PAU institutes in Kenya, Nigeria, Cameroon, Southern Africa, PAUWES attracts renowned international faculty and highly qualified students from across the African continent. The African Union plans to expand the Pan African University network to further centers in countries all over Africa so that PAUWES will be part of a broad competence network.
- Pan African University Institute for Basic Sciences, Technology and Innovation (PAUSTI) at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT), Juja, Kenya.
- Pan African University Institute for Life and Earth Sciences including Health and Agriculture (PAULESI)
at the University of Ibadan (UI), Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Pan African University Institute for Governance, Humanities and Social Sciences (PAUGHSS)
at the University of Yaounde II, Soa, Cameroon.
- Pan African University Institute of Water and Energy Sciences (including Climate Change) (PAUWES)
University of Tlemcen, Tlemcen, Algeria.
- Pan African University Institute of Space Sciences, Southern Africa
Host country and host university still to be determined.